I have a confession to make…I hate baking. I really suck at it. But, there are a couple of things that I can usually get right…cinnamon rolls, this peach bread that is amazing…and cake out of a box. I don’t really like following directions, so that’s probably where my disability to make baked goods comes from. Since this cake indeed comes out of a box, it actually turned out pretty amazing and it looks great layered in this glasses (only $1 each at Target!)
- 1 Duncan Hines box chocolate cake mix*
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil*
- 3 eggs*
- 1 1/4 c. water*
- 1 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- *These are cake mix items...if you use another mix brand, check the ingredients and proportions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together Cake mix ingredients (mix, oil, eggs, water and 1 Tbs. cocoa powder). Grease a 13X9 inch pan and add cake mix. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the crumble. Mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add 2 Tbs. butter and cut with two knives or a pastry cutter. Once it is all mixed together, add pecans. Once the cake is done baking, heat oven up to 400 degrees. Add crumble mixture to a small pan lined with parchment paper (as shown below). Bake for 12 minutes, then let cool.
- While the crumble is baking and the cake is cooling, prepare icing. Beat cream cheese and 1/4 c. butter. Add 1/2 c. milk, then powdered sugar and cinnamon. Beat until there are no lumps. The icing will be a little runny like cinnamon roll icing.
- Once the cake batter is COMPLETELY cooled (trust me...I wasted way too much cake the first time), take it out of the pan. Cut the cake with a cookie cutter to the size of your cups or jars. Layer first with the cake, then icing, then crumble until your cup is full. You can chill or serve immediately.
This is so yummy guys…and it looks amazing for entertaining! Serves about 6 glasses…depending on the size you use.